Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
aka "Heart Attack in A Skillet", but, according to the elderly Louisiana gentleman who shared this recipe, the genuine thing. It's been a long time since I made this but I do remember how good it was. Cook time includes marinating time.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 pieces chicken, 1 cut-up fryer,washed and patted dry
- 2 cups shortening or 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour, seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- Marinade: Combine marinade ingredients and chicken pieces in a plastic bag and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Chicken: Heat oil in skillet until it sizzles when tested with a drop of water; place seasoned flour in a plastic bag; remove chicken from marinade and add to flour; shake to thoroughly coat; brown chicken quickly on all sides.
- Cover, reduce heat and cook SLOWLY until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 20 minutes; salt the chicken generously as it fries, poultry absorbs a lot of salt.
Family loved it! I actually marinated it overnight vs only 2hrs. When it's done cooking thru it seems to float to the top which is generally about 20mins or so depending upon how high you have the flame. Definate keeper. DH is picky when it comes to fried chicken but he loved this!