Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is another of Real Simple's wonderful recipes ! The taste was so good, and I am looking forward to trying it again. Maybe next time with a different cut of beef. Recipe came together easy and I could not believe how wonderful the house smelled while this was cooking ! The brown sugar I used was a blend from Splenda and the rice vinegar I have is "flavored". NOTE: I keep fresh ginger in the freezer so that I will have it ready when I find a recipe that calls for it - it grates easily and then goes right back in the freezer for next time.
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce, reduced salt
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (Splenda)
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 beef short ribs (about 4 pounds)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 small green cabbage, quartered (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
- In slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper. Add the short ribs and carrots and arrange in a single layer. Lay the cabbage on top.
- Cook, covered, on high for 5 to 6 hours (or on low for 7 to 8 hours, until the meat is tender and easily pulls away from the bone.
- Transfer the cabbage, short ribs, and carrots to serving platter and place in a warm oven.
- With a large spoon or ladle, skim the fat from the cooking liquid and discard. If you have time, at this point place the cooking liquid in the freezer to chill and the fat will rise, making it easier to remove.
- Turn the slow-cooker to high setting. In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water until smooth. Add a little of the liquid from the bottom of the slow-cooker to the mixture and slowly whisk into the cooking liquid. Whisk until thickened and stir in sesame oil. Spoon the sauce over the short ribs and vegetables and sprinkle with the scallions.