Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Real Simple Magazine December 2004-January 2005
- 3⁄4 lb andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Saute the sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the red pepper to the Dutch oven; saute 2 minutes. Add the celery, scallions, parsley, garlic, and thyme, stirring well. Cook another 3 minutes, then add the rice, still stirring. Add the chicken, combining well.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes. Stir in the sausage, tomatoes, broth, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Stir in the shrimp and lemon juice and cook until the shrimp are just done, another 3 to 5 minutes. Serve Warm.