1/1 Photo of Real Simple Bean and Bacon Soup
From the February 2005 issue of Real Simple magazine. This is a quick comfort food for cold days. You can substitute lima, cannellini, or borlotti beans for the great Northern beans in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slice bacon
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 stalk celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (878.83 g) can great northern beans, drained
- 473.18 ml water
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 6.16 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, fry the bacon until crisp.
- 2Remove and drain on paper towels.
- 3Let cool, chop and set aside.
- 4Over medium heat, add the carrot to the pan drippings in the Dutch oven and sauté for 5 minutes.
- 5Add the celery, onion, and garlic, stirring well and cooking for 3 minutes more.
- 6Add the beans and 2 cups of water.
- 7Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low.
- 8Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- 9Uncover and, with a potato masher or large slotted spoon, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly.
- 10Stir in the parsley, salt, pepper and bacon.
- 11Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Simple Bean and Bacon Soup
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.0
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 477.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 11.3 g