1/2 Photos of Real Russian Stroganoff
Caroline Cooks's Note:
Easy, fast, and delicious! Basically from the Food Network, "Calling All Cooks", I've modified somewhat. Dimetri is the featured chef; his comment was"...Stroganoff is Russian COMFORT food, like Meat Loaf to Americans." Thanks to Dimetri for this great recipe! Try it, bet you and yours will love this rich sauce! (Will post photo when published.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon
- unsalted butter
- 6 -8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1 (12 ounce) sirloin steaks, cut into strips
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon
- 3/4 cup white wine (Dimetri -- Red will make your sauce pinkish, so use white)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cooked egg noodles
- 1In a cast iron or heavy skillet, cook bacon.
- 2Drain on paper toweling.
- 3Dredged in flour and brown sirloin in bacon drippings, set aside.
- 4Drain all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
- 5Add 2 tablespoons unsalted butter.
- 6Sauté onions and mushrooms until softened, deglazing pan with white wine; return sirloin to skillet.
- 7Add 2 tablespoons beef bouillon, salt and pepper, Worcestershire, and remaining white wine.
- 8Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- 9Just before serving, add sour cream and crumbled bacon; stir to combine.
- 10During cooking,sour cream will separate and some of the butterfat will become visible;this is normal; just stir.
- 11Serve over noodles; garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Russian Stroganoff
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 560.0
- Calories from Fat 376
- Total Fat 41.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 124.0 mg
- Sodium 345.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 29.5 g