1/2 Photos of Real Orange Chicken
An orange chicken recipe that's easy to make and better tasting than the carryouts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken breast (thin sliced by Purdue)
- 1 cup orange juice (no pulp)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 egg whites (or All Whites)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 2 dried red peppers (for spice...optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350°F.
- 2Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper and seasoning salt.
- 3Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch bite size pieces.
- 4In a mixing bowl or Ziploc bag, combine the flour, the remaining teaspoon salt and the granulated sugar.
- 5In another bowl whisk together the egg whites and water to create an egg wash (Note: If using All-Whites, you do not need to add water).
- 6Take handful of the chicken-bites and briefly dip and hand toss into the egg wash (coat well).
- 7Now toss the chicken around in the flour mixture until evenly coated.
- 8Deep fry for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown. Then set aside and drain excess grease.
- 9In a Wok, heat 2 tablespoons oil.
- 10While the chicken is frying, whisk together the orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger.
- 11Sauté or sweat the garlic and onions in the wok.
- 12Pour in the orange sauce. Heat orange sauce until boiling on high heat, then simmer on low heat.
- 13Add chicken to sauce.
- 14Let simmer for 10 minutes, occasionally turning over chicken for even coating. Chicken will soften and sauce will somewhat thicken as it simmers.
- 15Add dried red peppers during the last few minutes of simmering for spice.
- 16NOTE: For thicker sauce add more brown sugar. For more sauce, double sauce ingredients.
- 17Trick: For leftovers, refrigerate chicken separate from sauce so that the chicken doesn't get soggy.
- 18Serve over rice. Add stir-fry broccoli for traditional orange chicken meal. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Orange Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 998.6
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 4599.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 136.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 93.3 g
- Protein 62.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried red peppers