Recipe by BonnieZ
This recipe is posted by request, and is from the McCalls Cooking School Series.
Top Review by cortneytreat
This recipe was absolutely fabulous!! I did not make the tortillas, but used store bought ones instead. Also, I used organic beef stock(less sodium) instead of beef bouillon. This dish was incredible and dubbed a "maker-againer" at my house. Thanks for sharing!!
- 1 2⁄3 cups masa corn flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon tequila or 1 tablespoon cognac or 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper
- 1 (35 ounce) can Italian tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 -3 tablespoons finely chopped canned green chilies
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin (dash)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- For the tortillas, in a large bowl combine the masa, flour& salt.
- Add 1 cup water, stirring until completely moistened (you may need to add more water a Tbsp at a time if necessary) and dough forms a ball.
- On lightly floured surface, knead the dough until it is no longer sticky, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls.
- Let the dough balls rest 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Roll each ball into a 6 1/2 inch circle.
- Using a 6 1/2 inch plate as a guide, trim the dough circles evenly and repeat until all the dough is rolled.
- Slowly heat an ungreased heavy skillet.
- Put the tortillas one at a time into the hot skillet and cook on each side for 1 minute.
- To prepare the meat filling, over low heat in a medium skillet saute the ground chuck with 1 clove of garlic, 2 tsp salt, the tequilla& chili powder until browned.
- Stir in kidney beans with their juice and then remove from heat and set aside.
- For the tomatoe sauce add olive oil to a large skillet and saute the garlic, onion and green pepper about 5 minutes until tender.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes and tomatoe paste blending well.
- Bring the tomatoe mixture to the boiling point.
- Blend the beef bouillon with the 3/4 cup of boiling water.
- Add the bouillon mixture, the chilis, cumin, salt& pepper to the tomatoe mixture and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, uncovered until slightly thickened.
- To assemble, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place 1/3 cup of the meat filling in the center of each tortilla and roll up.
- Arrange seam side down in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Pour the tomatoe sauce over all and sprinkle the top with the grated cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes until bubly.