Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is delicious. A couple of options are to put velveeta slices on top before cooking, and we eat this with a homemade Russian dressing on top, which i don't expect anyone else to do!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (we use white)
- Heat oven to 350.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Blend in flour, salt, and pepper; gradually stir in milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and begins to boil.
- Try to avoid lumps, and don't let anything burn to the bottom of the pan. Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- In a 3 quart casserole dish, stir together pasta and the cheese sauce.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Wow!! This is the recipe I have been using for over twenty years. I also sauté 1/4 cup of finely minced white or yellow onion in the melted butter. I sprinkle smoked paprika on top after cooking. Yes, after cooking.
This is a really good basic mac and cheese recipe for those of us who don't care for boxed stuff. I found that adding a little dry mustard to it enhanced the flavor, and I think there are a number of things that you could add to it to make it your own. Very very creamy.
Very creamy and cheesy! I halved the recipe easily and baked in my countertop convection oven. I took your suggestion of using white cheddar and didn't have quite enough, so added some gouda to it. Worked great! Made for Fall 2011 PAC game.