- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 dash salt
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 7 ingredients in saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Pour filling into 9 inch pie shell, that has been baked and thouroughly cool.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Put over hot filling, making sure meringue seals edges of pie.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool at room temperature for 2-3 hours.