Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My mother who is Italian-born was taught this recipe by her mother before teaching me. I hope you enjoy it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb pork ribs
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil.
- Add onions& garlic and cook until just beginning to brown.
- Add Pork and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add Tomato Puree and Crushed Tomatoes and stir well.
- Add spices (add more or less to your liking) and bring to a boil, stirring often, for about 20 minutes Turn heat down to low and simmer for about 2-2 1/2 hours, stirring often.
My mother made her sauce on the weekend no recipe and this one is very very close. So I am rating this to put in my files and I will def try as per your ingredients. My mother first browned her ribs, then added chopped celery. She wanted to just add a can of tomato paste with enough water to cover but we were out so she used ready made canned spaghetti sauce - one with basil & romano and the other was a spicy sauce. I had some leftover cooked ribs off the bone that we also added and it was the best sauce ever. Served over whole wheat spaghetti and a couple of cooked spaghetti squash. Absolutely delish!!
Excellent sauce! The pork ribs gave it so much flavor, it was wonderful. Thanks Tina for posting such a wonderful handed down family recipe.