1/2 Photos of "REAL" Italian Bolognese Sauce
2 hrs 40 mins
Classic Chef's Note:
After traveling throughout Italy, savoring the fine tastes of Bolognese from the many different regions, I decided to formulate my own. Try it, you'll love it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (finely chopped)
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 (2 teaspoon) jar garlic or 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2-3/4 lb ground pork
- 1 (8 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can s&w italian style crushed tomatoes (or other)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk (I use 2%)
- 1 lb small penne pasta
- 1In a Dutch Oven or Medium Size Pot, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat until butter begins to froth.
- 2Add onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and bacon.
- 3Cook until onions are translucent (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- 4Remove bacon and remove fat.
- 5Chop lean portions of bacon in small pieces and return to pot.
- 6Add Ground beef and ground Pork, and cook until meat loses red, raw color.
- 7Raise heat and add wine and consomme.
- 8Cook sauce until wine and consomme are mostly evaporated.
- 9Turn heat down to simmer and add oregano, salt, pepper, sage, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg.
- 10Let cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- 11Add crushed tomatoes and bring heat to a boil.
- 12Once the mixture comes to a boil, return to simmer.
- 13Let sauce simmer (very slowly) partially covered for about 2 to 4 hours (the longer the better), stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 14About 5 to 10 minutes before serving, add milk.
- 15Sauce can now be added to cooked Penne Pasta, Spaghetti or many other Pastas to your liking.
- 16Remaining sauce may be frozen for up to two months for future use.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "REAL" Italian Bolognese Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (514 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1260.7
- Calories from Fat 568
- Total Fat 63.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 172.9 mg
- Sodium 1716.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.8 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 51.6 g