1/1 Photo of Real Irish Soda Bread
So many weird soda bread recipes out there. Rest assured that this one is the standard REAL one from Ireland. It is posted on the back of our equivalent of King Arthur flour, Odlums. You can add a handful of sultanas (golden raisins) for a fruit version. Simple, tried, tested and true.
My Private Note
round l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sieve flour, salt and soda into a bowl. Add sugar if used.
- 2Rub in the margarine to resemble breadcrumbs, lifting mixture with fingertips to introduce air to the dough.
- 3Add sufficient buttermilk and mix to make a soft dough.
- 4Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead a little.
- 5Turn the smooth side up and shape into a round. Place the dough on a floured tin.
- 6Cut a cross over the top.
- 7Bake in a pre-heated oven, 400°F 200°C Gas 6 for 40-45 minutes.
- 8When baked the underneath when "tapped" should have a hollow sound.
- 9Cool on a wire tray. Cover with a tea towel to give a soft crust.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Irish Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (743 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1953.6
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 9.7 mg
- Sodium 1945.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 358.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 55.2 g