1/3 Photos of Real Irish Soda Bread
1 hr 5 mins
I have never found an Irish Soda Bread recipe (or commericially available loaf) that can hold a candle to this recipe. It is simple to make and you can also mix the dry ingredients, add a hang-tag listing the wet ingredients and baking instructions and you have an outrageously good gift. This is an absolutely authentic Irish recipe, and if you have never had a Soda Bread with fruit or caraway, it is probably due to the baker's preference to omit it, cost cutting measures or the way in which this recipe is prepared in a few regions of the country. Note: If you don't like caraway seeds, currants or raisins, don't add them. And don't overmix this dough. I blend wet and dry ingredients with a large spooon only until incorporated. Also, if like Pretty111, you provide a low-star review because you THINK the recipe isn't traditional, don't bother. This recipe is not listed as "traditional", just delicious. I think that if you do not try a recipe, you have some nerve giving it a low-star review. It is just unfair.
My Private Note
tasty l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (I think they are a must) (optional)
- 1/2-3/4 cup currants or 1/2-3/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon uncooked oatmeal
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- 2Butter and flour a pie plate or round cake pan.
- 3Sprinkle uncooked oats on the bottom of the pan.
- 4Combine dry ingredients and currants.
- 5Mix melted butter, eggs and then buttermilk and sour cream.
- 6Stir in dry ingredients only until incorporated.
- 7Put dough into a prepared pie pan, in a mound with a rounded top.
- 8Cut an X in the top of the loaf.
- 9Bake for 50 minutes.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Irish Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.0
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 34.8 mg
- Sodium 221.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 4.0 g