Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
All I can say is yum (simple & tasty), I just love Champ! Another recipe courtesy of A Little Irish Cookbook.
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled
- 1 bunch scallion (spring onions)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon butter, per person
- The best way to prepare the potatoes is to cook them in a steamer and then pass them through a food mill. Alternatively, boil until soft but not mushy, drain and return them to the heat to dry somewhat before mashing. In any case keep hot. Chop the scallions finely, both green and white parts, and cook for 5 minutes in the milk.
- Beat this mixture into the mashed potatoes until smoooth and fluffy, season to taste and serve a large mound on each plate with a good knob of butter melting into the top. Each forkful is dipped into the melted butter as it is eaten. Very good with a glass of cold milk.