Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
There are so many Irish soda bread recipes on the internet, many of them American not Irish at all. This is the standard loaf brown soda bread used all over Ireland. It is to us what the Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookie recipe is to Americans! It's on the back of our national flour brand, Odlums. Think King Arthur. You can't go wrong with this recipe.
- Place wholemeal in a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve in Cream flour, salt, soda and sugar (if used).
- Add buttermilk and oil.
- Mix well.
- Transfer to a well greased 2lb loaf tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C, 325°F, Gas 3 for approximately 1 hour.
- Bread will be baked if base sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a wire tray. For a soft crust, wrap bread in a clean tea towel.
- Variations for bread In preparation, after adding the buttermilk and oil, add 50g/2oz chopped walnuts and 50g/2oz chopped dried apricots; When adding buttermilk and oil, add 1 tablespoon of treacle; Add 50g/2oz of grated cheddar cheese to the dry ingredients.