1 hr 10 mins
There are so many Irish soda bread recipes on the internet, many of them American not Irish at all. This is the standard loaf brown soda bread used all over Ireland. It is to us what the Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookie recipe is to Americans! It's on the back of our national flour brand, Odlums. Think King Arthur. You can't go wrong with this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place wholemeal in a large mixing bowl.
- 2Sieve in Cream flour, salt, soda and sugar (if used).
- 3Add buttermilk and oil.
- 4Mix well.
- 5Transfer to a well greased 2lb loaf tin.
- 6Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C, 325°F, Gas 3 for approximately 1 hour.
- 7Bread will be baked if base sounds hollow when tapped.
- 8Cool on a wire tray. For a soft crust, wrap bread in a clean tea towel.
- 9Variations for bread In preparation, after adding the buttermilk and oil, add 50g/2oz chopped walnuts and 50g/2oz chopped dried apricots; When adding buttermilk and oil, add 1 tablespoon of treacle; Add 50g/2oz of grated cheddar cheese to the dry ingredients.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Irish Brown Soda Bread Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (1051 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2052.9
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 2975.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 390.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 39.4 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 77.1 g