Prep 5 mins
Cook 24 hrs
I noticed most of the "homemade sour cream" recipes on this site are in fact homemade sour cream *substitutes* not real sour cream. This is a recipe for real homemade sour cream I found on motherearthnews.com. I haven't made it yet but I'll be trying it soon.
- In a screw-top jar or mason jar with lid, combine the heavy cream and sour cream (or buttermilk).
- Shake the ingredients up a bit to thoroughly mix and let stand, covered, at room temperature for about 24 hours or until it becomes very thick.
- If you want to make a lighter sour cream, substitute whole milk for 1/2 cup of the heavy cream.
- You can store your sour cream in the refrigerator in the original jar you mixed it in (or use some other resealable container) for up to one week. Make sure that your sour cream is well chilled before using.
- Makes 10 1/8-cup servings.