These are just like the ones you get at the fair! Most recipes leave out the very important step of boiling before baking. You must do this to achieve the right results. *Prep time includes rising time.
- In large bowl, stir yeast, sugar and warm water.
- Let rest til yeast is dissolved and is a little foamy.
- Stir in 1 cup flour. Then rest of flour mixed with the 1 Tbl salt.
- Knead on lightly floured surface til smooth.
- Place in oiled bowl, rolling around til all oiled. Cover and let rise till doubled in size.
- Remove and knead again just a little bit, gently.
- Cut into 16 pcs., roll each pc.into 14" ropes, shape into pretzels and place on greased cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise 15 minutes.
- Drop each, one or 2 at a time into a small pot of boiling water, boiling each 1 minute, and replace back onto greased cookie sheet.
- Brush each with eggwash (1 egg beaten with 1 Tbl. water), sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake in preheated 450º oven for 12-15 minutes! This is the best recipe to make real soft pretzels!