Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this recipe on "How to cook like your grandmother" Blog. No Velvetta(yuk) no processed cheese. Real cheese real ingredients. Serve hot as it will set when cool.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk (regular milk will work)
- 1 ounce cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄8 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottom sauce pan.
- Stir in the corn starch.
- Add the milk. (regular milk will work also).
- Add cream cheese stir until it's melted and smooth.
- Add the cheddar and stir until it is well melted.
- Add the Monterey Jack and stir again.
- Stir in hot sauce and paprika.
- Enjoy over tortilla chips or veggies.
unfortunately I did not like this recipe at all. I followed the directions to a T. The paprika was really overpowering and I did not care for the flavor at all. sorry! I made it a second time leaving out the paprika and instead adding some diced jalapenos and that was perfect.
Made as written, I got a gloopy, thick, oily, unappetizing mess. However, I poured off the cheese oil and slowly added cream and the texture improved greatly. I probably added 1 full cup, though I didn't measure. I also added salt, home canned jalapenos and more hot sauce. As a base, this recipe is good, but it was still missing something flavorwise. I'll be comparing other recipes and added/subtracting till it's just right!
Oh wow this is really delicious! I needed a new recipe because mine was to bland. I didn't use the hot sauce or the paprika. It is very flavorful and better than any I have had in a restaurant. Thanks for helping me avoid fast food! This is replacing my recipe! I think its the cream cheese that does the trick.