Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the way our family likes our mashed potatoes. The evaporated milk makes this dish special. Simple, creamy and good!
- Peel potatoes and cut into quarters.
- Place potatoes into stockpot. Add enough salted water to cover the potatoes by about 1-inch.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender but not mushy, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in colander. Place potatoes back into stockpot.
- Meanwhile, heat evaporated milk in microwave (use a pyrex measuring cup) until warm, about 45 seconds.
- Add butter to potatoes and mash with a potato masher. Add warmed milk to potatoes along with pepper to taste.
- Mix and mash well, but don't overdo it.
I've used evaporated milk in my mashers, too. Besides giving good creamy texture I like the flavor it gives. I usually don't measure but this time I followed your recipe and the amounts were perfect. Served this under some "Stuffed Pepper Soup." Thanks BecR! Roxygirl
This recipe was made on 8/6/09 to go along with fried chicken and some fresh corn off the cob.Since it was just my SO and I, the recipe was adjusted accordingly. I admit evaporated milk was never used before to make mashed potatoes,but after this I think it's the way to go.This is pure " comfort food " at it's finest.I will use this method again. Thank you so much for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
I absolutely LOVE this recipe! I do not have anything to compare it too, so I simply gave it 4 stars.