Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar as it didn't have a loving home. I haven't yet been able to make it, but since I am German and generally like a good German potato salad, I thought I would put my name on this great looking recipe! ;) If you make it before I get a chance, please let me know what you think!
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise (yes they have that in Germany) or 1 cup Miracle Whip (yes they have that in Germany)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups sliced cooked peeled potatoes
- 2 medium dill pickles (DO NOT substitute with "relish", that will make it "American Potato Salad" NOT GERMAN.)
- In a large skillet, cook onion until tender.
- Stir in flour, blend well.
- Add vinegar and water; cook and stir until bubbly and slightly thick.
- Add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Add Mayo or"Miracle Whip".
- Chop pickles; gently stir in pickles and potatoes.
- Serve chilled.
Good potato salad, thank you very much.
Seems to be a regional recipe from the Frankfurt area. I will try it next. To the people telling us this is not authentic German potato salad because it contains mayonnaise...I am German and have never eaten a warm Bavarian salad. The recipes are regional, the south seems to have warm salads that are pork fat or vinegar based and the north has mayonnaise based salads.
This was pretty good and reminded my bf of one of his favorites from a German Pub in our neighborhood. For me, it was a bit too saucy, next time I'll add more potatoes to even it out.