Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is a version of GERMAN Potato salat my mother used to make when we lived in Frankfurt.
- 5 -6 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 finely chopped onions or 2 -3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- finely chopped celery (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods or Helmann's, a little more, depending on texture after mixing)
- chopped hard-boiled egg, for garnish
- paprika, for garnish
- dill weed, for garnish
- Steam potatoes with skin on.
- Mix together all ingredients except potatoes.
- When potatoes are done, cut (it's up to you whether or not you want to leave the skins on) while still warm and fold together with the mayo mixture- it makes it taste better to combine while warm.
- Put into serving container and garnish.
- Refrigerate for at least three hours before serving (the longer the better).
- This potato salad is even better then next day!
I have used this recipe several times. Have enjoyed making it and just love watching my family and friends come back for 2nds. and 3rds. Ilse Oshkosh WI
This was a good tasting potato salad ,but it tasted nothing like the actual potato salad that I had in Germany.