Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
This is the famous SPANISH Tapas dish that has been messed up by so called chefs around the world. I know there are other recipes for this dish, but, I live in Spain and this is how they are made here. Fresh RAW prawns should be used, pre cooked prawns turn tough if used and spoil the dish. I eat this every week at the local tapas bar. For the best result the dish should be cooked and served in a earthenware dish. Serve with some crusty bread to soak up the liquid.
- 500 g prawns, raw and shelled
- 2 chili peppers, chopped and seeded
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- Heat the earthenware dish over moderate heat and add the oil and fry the garlic till just starting to brown.
- Add the garlic, and prawns, season with salt and cook, stirring, till the prawns change colour (pink).
- Carefully add the wine, if using.
This dish epitomizes deliciousness in simplicity. Its one of the bestsellers on the menu at the restaurant where I work. Here is the recipe and a little info on the dish on my blog.
I also live in Spain and regularly eat this dish. Your recipe was spot on and absolutely delicious!