Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Courtesy of Martha Stewart
Make and share this Real Deal Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fine cornmeal or 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons other vinegar
- chopped jalapeno
- chopped onions or scallion
- grated cheddar cheese
- lime wedge, and
- sour cream
- in a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until just beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Add paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt, pepper, and ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, and breaking up the meat with the side of the spoon, until the beef is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in water, cornmeal, and vinegar, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid thickens, about 20 minutes. It may be necessary to add a little water to thin the chili. Serve hot, garnished with desired toppings.