Recipe by Noo
I saw this recipe being made on Good Food Live one day and it looked delicious. I now use this cake in my baking rotation and there is never a crumb left. Try and use the best quality chocolate you can-it does make a difference. For a variation on the ganache, try adding some grated orange zest or chopped mint or even some finely chopped nuts.
- 150 g dark chocolate chips
- 250 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs (separated)
- 100 g sifted cornflour
For the ganache
- 200 ml double cream
- 200 g dark chocolate chips
- 25 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees/gas 3.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on low (or in a bain-marie).
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and 100g of the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one by one, mixing well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add remaining sugar to them; whisk until thick and glossy.
- Pour the chocolate into the creamed butter mixture and mix well.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the whisked whites and cornflour in two batches.
- Pour into a lined 20cm cake tin, and bake for approx 40 minutes until set and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate.
- For the ganache:.
- In a pan, bring the cream to a boil. Place the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and pour in the cream, mixing well. Mix in the butter and spread ganache over the cake.
- Allow to cool before serving.