Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is homemade goodness! I was disappointed by the number of recipes I saw with bouillon or broth in them. My favorite chicken soup is made with a whole chicken, water, and veggies... and the taste is pure and delicious. No MSG or other fillers getting in the way. To make this truly from scratch, you could make your own egg noodles as well (try Delicious Homemade Egg Noodles) but pre-packaged ones do fine too. Adjust the noodle amount to how you like it... either a lot of noodles or a little. Enjoy this soup when you are under the weather or just as a warm comfort food. We love it served with a nice crusty bread with butter. Oh, and my 2 year old loves this too! It's perfect for little fingers and noodles and veggies are soft for them to chew.
- Discard chicken parts on interior of chicken and thoroughly rinse chicken. Place in large stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Add carrots, onion, water, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over high heat until boiling.
- Once boiling, lower heat to low to maintain a simmer, and cook for 45 minutes or until chicken is fork tender.
- Remove chicken, and place on cutting board to cool enough to handle.
- Add celery and noodles to pot. Simmer for 10 - 20 minutes, or until noodles are tender.
- During this time, begin cutting up your chicken meat (we use only the breast meat) into chunks or shreds -- however you like it.
- Add the meat to the soup before serving.
Thank you for such a wonderful recipe! I had just picked up some whole chickens today but didn't want to roast them like I usually do; thankfully this recipe popped up in my search and it really did save the day! It was my first time making chicken noodle soup, let alone from scratch, and the instructions were perfect. I followed it almost to a T except for the addition of a few more seasonings: a teaspoon of thyme, some garlic powder, and two large bay leaves to give a little more oomph to the stock. (Which by the way, was a huge winner in my house!) I also didn't have egg noodles so I used fettuccine instead, which worked out well. The pasta was so flavourful after soaking up all the lovely flavours of the stock :) Everyone loved the soup and I'll definitely make this again!
I never follow a recipe when I make my homemade chicken soup; I just toss in this and that. Well, I followed this one exactly, except I cut the chicken in quarters for easier handling and cooling. The broth was very good. I also added just the breast meat back to the soup and made my own noodles. I think it was the best pot of soup I ever made! I would recommend this as a perfect recipe for a novice soup maker. Thanks for an easy, straight forward recipe Dans La Lune! Made and enjoyed for PAC Spring '09.
Really good flavor. I dont like alot o; meat in my soup or stew, but everyone else does. I like this, kinda flavors us all. Thanks