Prep 20 mins
Cook 27 hrs
This is version II. Yes I live in Texas but I moved here from Chicago. Ok this takes overnight but you know when you taste it that it is the real thing, and anyone you serve it to will be asking for more.This is my own recipe.
- 5 -7 lbs rump roast
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons basil
- 2 -4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (don't over due this pepper unless you like it HOT)
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 -6 garlic cloves
- 2 -3 sweet green peppers, sliced
WHAT YOU NEED FOR TOPPING
- banana pepper (optional)
- crusty French roll (optional)
- onion (optional)
- Place roast on rack inside a 13X9 pan and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes per pound.(roast will be rare).
- Save meat dripping.
- Cool roast and slice very thinly. Paper Thin(But do not shave)set this aside.
- Pour drippings into a sauce pan and to the drippings add all other ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- (I do my seasons by taste at this point because the larger the roast the more seasoning you will need).
- Now add you sliced meat to the sauce and place all into an airtight container.
- Place in fridge over night.
- Next day heat meat and sauce.
- When heated remove the bay leafs and garlic cloves toss those away.
- Now your ready to serve on rolls with your favorite toppings and and maybe a side of fries or chips,.
- OH don't forget to add some of the juice to your sandwich or on the side for dipping.