2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
Cookin In Texas's Note:
This is a more difficult version but here it is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make a spice rub by combining 1 teaspoon each of dried basil,dried oregano,garlic powder,ground pepper,salt,red pepper flakes.
- 2Rub HALF of the spice rub over and around the roast, Press the mixture into the meat as much as possible. Place the meat in a roasting pan. Add about 1 cup water to the pan.
- 3Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- 4Roast the beef for 35 minutes, Now reduce the temperature to 400 degrees F., and roast for 40 minutes.
- 5DO NOT TURN OFF THE OVEN, Remove the pan from the oven and pour 1 1/2 cups cold water into the pan, Let Stand for 15-20 minutes.
- 6Add remaining seasoning mixture to the pan juices and water. Return meat to the oven and roast until meat thermometer reaches (160 degrees very important to reach this temp) about 50 minutes but use the thermometer to make sure.
- 7When temp is reached remove pan and allow the roast to cool slightly befroe slicing. Slice almost paper thin (the right thiness is critical to ensure a good chew, But without being tough).
- 8Transfer the juices to a sauce pan and keep it warm over low heat.
- 9Immerse the sliced beef into the warm gravy.
- 10To serve, scoop some of the beef out of the gravy using a fork, Load it onto a Gonnella french bread roll. Garnish with hot or sweet peppers and serve.
- 11TIP: One of the secrets of Chicago Italian Beef restaurants is that they add garlic juice to the pan juices during the final roasting.
- 12TIP 2: The beef served at these restaurants are not undercooked, infact most roast the beef until it is medium well which shows very little redness.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Chicago-Style Italian Beef I
Serving Size: 1 (1 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.2
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 199.5 mg
- Sodium 560.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 58.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sirloin tip roast