Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I clipped this recipe from the Star-Telegram newspaper some time around the early '80's and have made it often.
- 1 lb dried red beans, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 quarts water
- 3 cups bermuda onions, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped and crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb link sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Wash beans and soak overnight in water to cover, about 2 quarts, adding salt to taste.
- Cook beans in salted water slowly for 45 minutes.
- Add vegetables, shortening, seasonings, tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Cook slowly another hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add sausage and cook for 45 minutes more.
- Cool but do not refrigerate -- no more than 1 hour.
- Reheat and bring to boil, lower heat and simmer gently 30 or 40 minutes.
- Serve over hot fluffy rice.