1/1 Photo of Real Buttermilk Biscuits Without the Buttermilk
Buttermilk biscuits without the buttermilk. I searched a lot of years for a good biscuit recipe and ultimately came up with my own. Super moist and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Mix dry ingredients.
- 3Add butter and shortening to the dry ingredients and work into flour with a pastry cutter or a fork (or even your fingers) until the flour resembles course crumbs.
- 4Mix milk and sour cream.
- 5Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the milk and sour cream mixture.
- 6Stir very lighly, only until mixed. DO NOT OVER STIR! This will result in tough biscuits. As soon as a dough ball forms, stop stirring. The dough will be very, very sticky. This is good. It means very moist biscuits.
- 7Turn the dough ball onto a very well floured surface, dust the top of the dough ball with flour and gently fold the dough onto itself 5 or 6 times.
- 8Press down or use a rolling pin to make the pile of dough 1" thick. Use a two inch cutter to cut out 12 biscuits. If you reuse the scraps the biscuits from the scraps will not be as tender as the original batch.
- 9Place biscuits on a baking pan (any kind; cookie, cake pan, etc.) so that the biscuits are just touching if you'd like the sides tender. Make sure there is an inch between biscuits if you'd like crispier sides.
- 10Bake 9 - 20 minutes (This depends on the size of your biscuits. If making small biscuits it will take much less time).
- 11You may brush the tops with milk or butter for a golden brown biscuit.
- 12These can be frozen and come out great once thawed. If you want a warm biscuit just pop them in the microwave or back into the oven and they taste like they are fresh from the oven.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Real Buttermilk Biscuits Without the Buttermilk
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.5 mg
- Sodium 146.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 2.7 g