Recipe by Lee of The Midwest Whitehouse
A meal within it self, add a beverage, french bread and finish off with a dessert. This one will bring people back for seconds. This stew was born through experience and adjustment of many attempts at other recipes. Of the ingredients, I kept the best, threw out the rest and then added others for taste.
Top Review by SCMedic
I made it just like you said, except after I got done adding adding the beef broth and stuff, once it started to thicken I added the carrots and potatoes then moved everything into the crock pot. Turned out great. Next time I'll follow it the right way....I promise.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- cajun seasoning
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 4 cups beef bouillon
- 1 cup red wine (Port will do)
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce ("Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce" The hot sauce can be adjusted to taste. I have have found 4 tbsps to be)
- 6 whole carrots, 1/2 inch thick slices (peeled or unpeeled,scrubed)
- 6 whole potatoes (I prefer "Yukon Gold Potatoes. peeled or unpeeled,scrubed, quartered and each quarter halved)
- 3 large onions, halved and quartered or 15 white boiling onions
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Season flour with salt, pepper and cajun seasoning to taste.
- After cutting beef stew meat into 3/4 inch pieces, dredge meat in seasoned flour.
- In a large stew pot, brown meat in hot olive oil.
- Add beef broth, sugar, celery, garlic, bay leaves, wine and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for one hour.
- Taste and season to your choice.
- Add carrots and potatoes, simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add onions of choice and mushrooms, simmer until onions are tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Note: Watch liquid level while simmering, add water if needed, when the stew is completed the the liquid consistency can be thickened by adding instant potatoes if desired.