Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Not as sweet as a cake, but sweeter than a bread, this wonderful blueberry bread is served warm and buttered. A favorite country inn of mine serves it up in summer when blueberries are plump and plentiful. It truly is an eye-opener and I think you'll enjoy serving it too.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen without syrup)
- Beat together the eggs and sugar, until the mixture loses its granular consistency.
- Add milk and melted butter.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder.
- Add liquid ingredients, mix to combine.
- Toss blueberries in a little flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the bread.
- Add them to the batter and pour into 2 regular well-greased loaf pans.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake from 30-40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean in the center.
- Serve warm with butter.
- Freezes very well.
Because I have only one loaf pan, I halved this to make one loaf, and it is great! I did add the 1/4 cup sugar suggested by other reviewers. My husband liked it so well he asked me to make another for him to take to work (so I did). We grow our own blueberries, so I expect to make this often. Thanks for posting.
I increased the sugar by an extra 1/4 cup as one of the reviewers recommended. I'm definitely glad I did that. It's still not very sweet but it's perfect for a quick bread. I love it how there's not much butter (a low fat recipe!) I thought it was delicious hot and it tasted rich enough that I didn't add any butter to my slice. I used frozen blueberries. Yum!
Since I had a pint of blueberries that were about to go bad, I made this on 7/15/08. The directions were very easy to follow, and right to the point. I coated the berries with a little of the flour from amount listed in the recipe.The baking time of 40 minutes was the perfect amount of time for my oven.After baking, I took a slightly warm slice and spread a little margarine on it. It was so good. I do think however the next time this is made another 1/4 cup of sugar will be added. Thank you so much for posting and, "Keep Smiling :)"