Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Great recipe to use your summer bounty! The red pepper flakes give this ratatouille the extra "razz" and the flavor of Parmesan crisp is a nice compliment.
- 3 -5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into large pieces
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into large pieces
- 1 lb vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 cup canned cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped (loosely packed, divided)
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped (loosely packed, divided)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb parmesan cheese (whole wedge)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- freshly cracked pepper
- Sprinkle Eggplant pieces lightly with salt and pepper. Allow to rest salted in a colander for about a half hour.
- In a large deep sided frying pan heat 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons oil until hot.
- Cook half the eggplant in the hot oil until lightly browned on all sides, transfer to a dish to reserve and repeat with the other half of the eggplant and reserve that on the side as well.
- In the same frying pan, heat another tablespoon of olive oil and add the onion, garlic, pepper sand red pepper flakes. Sautee’ till slightly softened but not limp.
- Add the eggplant back to the pan and then add the chick peas, tomatoes and half of the basil and parsley.
- Cook on low until vegetables are softened and sauce has thickened somewhat. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste.
- Parmesan crisp:.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grate the parmesan cheese using the large holes of a box grater or using the grater attachment to a food processor.
- Oil a baking sheet well with vegetable oil (nonstick cooking spray can be substituted or use silpat if you are lucky enough to have it).
- Pile cheese in cookie sized rounds of about 1-1/2 inch diameter.
- Sprinkle over with freshly cracked pepper.
- Bake in oven about 5-7 minutes (keep an eye on it, it’ll burn fast) until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet and place on cooling racks.