1/13 Photos of Rays of Sunshine - Homemade Candied Orange Peel
72 hrs 15 mins
French Tart's Note:
Once you have made homemade candied orange OR lemon peel, you will never go back to using commercially produced peel again! This is such an easy recipe & yields enough freshly candied peel to accommodate most of my recipes using peel for quite a few months. You just need to be organised and have an airy & dry room available for the drying process. This peel enhances any recipe calling for peel, and actually TASTES like oranges! I often keep the peel from fresh oranges in a container, in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, until I have enough to handy to make a batch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scrub the fruit well. Using a sharp knife remove peel and pith from fruits in large pieces, I like to cut them into quarters.
- 2Place the pieces of peel in a medium sized saucepan. Cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Drain.
- 3Repeat this process twice. The pith should now be translucent. If not, continue with the process once more.
- 4Drain and slice into 3 mm thick strips, or leave in attractive quarter pieces.
- 5Place sugar and water in a medium sized saucepan. Cook, stirring over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add peel; simmer approximately 45 - 60 minutes, or until the syrup has nearly disappeared.
- 6Remove from heat. Place the peel on a wire rack that has been placed over a baking paper lined oven tray. Cover and allow to dry overnight.
- 7Toss the peel in extra caster sugar to coat it lightly.
- 8Arrange sugar coated peel in single layer on baking paper until touch dry, 2-3 days.
- 9Store in airtight containers until ready to use.
- 10The peel will last several months if kept in dry, dark & cool conditions & and in airtight container.
- 11Snip into smaller pieces as and when you need it.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rays of Sunshine - Homemade Candied Orange Peel
Serving Size: 1 (1678 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1530.4
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 20.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 392.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.8 g
- Sugars 372.8 g
- Protein 7.3 g