1/13 Photos of Rays of Sunshine - Homemade Candied Orange Peel
72 hrs 15 mins
French Tart's Note:
Once you have made homemade candied orange OR lemon peel, you will never go back to using commercially produced peel again! This is such an easy recipe & yields enough freshly candied peel to accommodate most of my recipes using peel for quite a few months. You just need to be organised and have an airy & dry room available for the drying process. This peel enhances any recipe calling for peel, and actually TASTES like oranges! I often keep the peel from fresh oranges in a container, in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, until I have enough to handy to make a batch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scrub the fruit well. Using a sharp knife remove peel and pith from fruits in large pieces, I like to cut them into quarters.
- 2Place the pieces of peel in a medium sized saucepan. Cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes. Drain.
- 3Repeat this process twice. The pith should now be translucent. If not, continue with the process once more.
- 4Drain and slice into 3 mm thick strips, or leave in attractive quarter pieces.
- 5Place sugar and water in a medium sized saucepan. Cook, stirring over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add peel; simmer approximately 45 - 60 minutes, or until the syrup has nearly disappeared.
- 6Remove from heat. Place the peel on a wire rack that has been placed over a baking paper lined oven tray. Cover and allow to dry overnight.
- 7Toss the peel in extra caster sugar to coat it lightly.
- 8Arrange sugar coated peel in single layer on baking paper until touch dry, 2-3 days.
- 9Store in airtight containers until ready to use.
- 10The peel will last several months if kept in dry, dark & cool conditions & and in airtight container.
- 11Snip into smaller pieces as and when you need it.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rays of Sunshine - Homemade Candied Orange Peel
Serving Size: 1 (1678 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1530.4
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 20.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 392.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.8 g
- Sugars 372.8 g
- Protein 7.3 g