1/1 Photo of Raw Vegan Kale Chips
The Blender Girl's Note:
For those of you not familiar with kale chips – welcome to vegan nirvana. Raw foodists, vegans, health nuts, or those in “the green know” chow down happily on a handful of fresh kale chips as a green, nutritious alternative to conventional potato chips. They are not fried or baked; free from all of the carcinogens, additives and preservatives that plague most shriveled potato chip packets; they are dehydrated, which preserves all of their natural enzymes and nutrients; and most importantly, they are absolutely scrumptious. I promise you – these kale chips are to die for! The secret to finishing this recipe off with that extra special touch? Tossing through the granulated garlic at the end. It just gives it a depth of flavour that is missing if you don’t finish it off this way. Don’t worry if you don’t have a dehydrator – you can slow cook kale chips in your oven on the very lowest setting for about 8-12 hours.
My Private Note
Large B ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch curly green kale (large bunch, about 8 firmly packed cups)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in filtered water for 2 - 4 hours)
- 1/8 cup filtered water (as needed for desired consistency)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, to taste
- 1 bulb of garlic, chopped roughly (about 8-10 cloves)
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (optional)
- 4 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1Rip the kale from off the stalks (discard the stalks), wash and place in a colander to drain. You want a little bit of water left on the kale.
- 2Transfer to a large bowl.
- 3Place all the ingredients except the kale and the granulated garlic in a food processor until smooth, thick and creamy. You want something like the consistency of hummus. You might need to add a little bit more water.
- 4Take small handfuls of the cashew cheese and massage into the kale. I use kitchen gloves for this. Repeat this until all of the mixture has been added and the kale is evenly coated with no large clumps of “cheese”.
- 5Toss through the granulated garlic so that it is evenly distributed.
- 6Place the kale evenly on dehydrator sheets and dehydrate for about 8 hours until crisp.
- 7If you don’t have a dehydrator you can place them on baking sheets in the oven on the lowest setting for about 10-12 hours.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raw Vegan Kale Chips
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1140.3
- Calories from Fat 620
- Total Fat 68.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2472.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 107.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.9 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 51.2 g