1/2 Photos of Raw Tuscan Kale Salad With Pecorino
Japanese Delight's Note:
From the NY Times. Eating this was the first time I'd had kale, and it was simply delicious!! The only change I had made from the original recipe is that I added lemon zest and it turned out even better! For the bread crumbs, coarsely crushed homemade croutons would work also. Instead of bread crumbs, you can use a nice thin slice of toasted country bread. Zaar wouldn't let me enter the word crusty/chewy country bread into the ingredient list. If you have a microplane, that works good for grating the garlic instead of finely chopping it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch tuscan kale (also known as black or lacinato kale)
- 1 slice bread, or
- 59.14 ml homemade breadcrumbs (coarse)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml finely grated pecorino cheese or 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, more for garnish
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil, more for garnish
- 4.92 ml lemon zest
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon, juice of
- 1.23 ml kosher salt
- 0.59 ml red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Trim bottom 2 inches off kale stems and discard. Slice kale, including ribs, into 3/4-inch-wide ribbons. You should have 4 to 5 cups. Place kale in a large bowl.
- 2If using bread, toast it until golden on both sides. Tear it into small pieces and grind in a food processor until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- 3Chop or microplane the garlic and transfer to a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup cheese, 3 tablespoons oil, lemon juice & zest, salt, pepper flakes and black pepper, and whisk to combine. Pour dressing over kale and toss very well to thoroughly combine (dressing will be thick and need lots of tossing to coat leaves).
- 4Let salad sit for 5 minutes, then serve topped with bread crumbs, additional cheese and a drizzle of oil.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raw Tuscan Kale Salad With Pecorino
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.5
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 248.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: