Creamy, slightly sweet casserole topped with walnuts. Yes, it's made with raw sweet potato and the texture isn't exactly like your typical sweet potato casserole, but I love it! Tweaked the original recipe from Herbs for Health magazine, which called for dehydrating the nuts. Prep time does not include soaking the nuts overnight.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans (let dry a bit on a paper towel) or 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, soaked overnight, then drained (let dry a bit on a paper towel)
- 4 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dates, soaked for about 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (this is not a raw product)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Put potatoes, 1/2 cup nuts, dates, cinnamon and vanilla in processor and puree till smooth.
- Pour into a casserole dish.
- In another bowl, mix the remaining 1 cup nuts with salt and honey, and sprinkle over the potato mixture.
- I enjoyed this at room temperature, but still good straight out of the frig.