Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Creamy, slightly sweet casserole topped with walnuts. Yes, it's made with raw sweet potato and the texture isn't exactly like your typical sweet potato casserole, but I love it! Tweaked the original recipe from Herbs for Health magazine, which called for dehydrating the nuts. Prep time does not include soaking the nuts overnight.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans (let dry a bit on a paper towel) or 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, soaked overnight, then drained (let dry a bit on a paper towel)
- 4 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dates, soaked for about 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (this is not a raw product)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Put potatoes, 1/2 cup nuts, dates, cinnamon and vanilla in processor and puree till smooth.
- Pour into a casserole dish.
- In another bowl, mix the remaining 1 cup nuts with salt and honey, and sprinkle over the potato mixture.
- I enjoyed this at room temperature, but still good straight out of the frig.
OMG this is fantastic! I can't imagine someone not liking this! It is perfect. Blend well to get get really smooth... it is divine! I will be making this every holiday meal. Thanks!
I have been attempting to go raw for a long time now. Not knowing of a few good desserts has been my problem. Then I thought raw potatoes? Eeeeooow! But, this recipe is out of this world delish!!! My very skeptical son is in love with it and I am very happy. Next, I want to try the recipe for Nature's Cake. Honestly, try this...it's extremely healthy and extremely delicious.
I came across this recipe at a raw vegan potluck and decided to get the recipe for myself as it was just so good!
I`ve made it a few times now but it`s slightly different than the one I had at the potluck - I find 1/2 tsp salt way too salty so I bring it down to 1/8 tsp. I also drop the honey/ agave nectar down to about 2 tbsp as I find it makes the topping too sweet and liquidy - To make up for the lost sweetness in the sweet potato mix, I add a bit more dates. I usually don`t make it with vanilla, and I don`t have any problems with it being grainy - I just make sure to process it long enough.
I`ve let a few non-raw-vegans try it with most people`s feedback being really great. An wonderful recipe! Before this, I never knew I could eat sweet potatoes raw, and not get sick!