This is an old family recipe from the Pennsylvania Dutch region. My grandmother had given it to my mother.
- Grate potatoes by hand, or process them in a food processor, and place in a large bowl.
- Add beaten egg yolks to grated potatoes.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking powder, and mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, and fold into potato mixture.
- On medium high heat, place enough shortening in a large skillet to have about 1/4" deep oil when melted.
- Drop batter by large spoonfuls into hot oil.
- Turn over when edges become a nice crispy brown, about 2 minutes.
- Cook another minute or two on the other side.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Add shortening as needed to keep the oil level deep enough to fry the pancakes, but not deep enough to cover them.