Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Enjoying a raw food diet does not mean we have to forgo our favorite comfort foods. We just have to modify them. Take oatmeal for instance. Instead of using rolled oats (which are flattened, steamed and toasted), preparing “oatmeal” gives us an excuse to eat raw oat groats. I dig the chewy texture of groats and find that soaking them for 8 hours is sufficient. Feel free to soak longer for softer grains. Either way, this raw oatmeal recipe is sure to warm you from the inside.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole oat groats, soaked 8 to 16 hours
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup water (optional)
- 1 banana
- 4 dates, chopped
- 6 pecans or 6 walnuts, chopped
- Lightly pulse the chopped apple in a food processor or blender. If you prefer a smooth consistency add water as necessary and puree. You may also need to add a little water if your apple doesn’t release much juice.
- Add cinnamon and 1 cup of oats (keeping ¼ cup aside for garnish), continue to blend but your finished mixture should have some texture.
- Grab your dishware and divide into two servings.
- Garnish with remaining oats, sliced banana, chopped dates and nuts. Walla!
- You can up the nutrients by topping your oatmeal with superfoods like chia seeds, goji berries, or raw cacao. Just know the more you add the less “apple pie” you’ll taste.
- Visit my Website for photo and nutrient info. Enjoy!