Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A decadent raw truffle featuring almonds, dates and cocoa powder, and a touch of cinnamon, nutmeg and cayenne.
- 2 cups almonds
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 -13 dates, soaked for 15 minutes in water (deglet noor dates, whole pitted unsweetened, you can also sub medjool or other varieties)
- 1 tablespoon strong coffee (or coffee liqueur such as Kahlua)
- 1 tablespoon date water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vietnamese cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Place almonds in a food processor and process until nearly the consistency of almond meal – the pieces should be very fine but stop before it starts to turn to butter.
- Next add cocoa powder, chocolate chips, dates (minus the water) and spices and blend well.
- Add coffee and pulse. Add 1 Tbsp of date water ONLY if your batter isn’t coming together. It should be difficult to process at this point.
- Transfer to a bowl and place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and roll into 1-inch balls. They will be sticky but manageable with the warmth of your hands.
- Roll in cocoa or cacao powder (optional) and keep frozen to retain freshness. You can eat them chilled or at room temperature. I preferred them a tad on the warm side as you could taste more of the flavors.