Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This isn't the creamiest, best tasting macaroni and cheese out there. This is a yummy, super quick casserole, that my family adores. My kids love the pepperoni variation the best. It is easily adapted for your pickiest eater. I have also increased the quantity easily. I add a bit more butter, and noodles. Just be sure the milk comes up to top of noodles. I've never had to increase time. It does rise and could boil over if there isn't enough room in pan.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 lb grated cheese (of choice)
- 1 quart milk
- handful of frozen vegetables ex. peas (optional) or broccoli (optional)
- handful of cooked meat ex. pepperoni, cut up hotodgs, diced chicken (optional)
- Melt butter in a deep baking dish. Stir uncooked noodles in melted butter until well coated. Sprinkle salt and pepper and cheese on noodles. Pour milk on all until it just reaches the top of the noodles. (Do not stir) Bake at 375F for one hour. Do not stir.
- You can add frozen vegetables to the dry noodles and place some meat on top before you bake. Peas, pepperoni, and colby jack cheese is my family's favorite. We've also loved other variations too.
This was a really good, easy, quick prep meal!
It was very good we did the pepperoni option. It needed more cheese, it was a bit dry. But I think that's because I didn't measure the cheese correctly. Well done and thanks for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to try B's tip on stewed tomatoes.
I've used a similar recipe (only calls for 2 cups macaroni and a lot more cheese - sharp cheese). When I melt the butter, I add about 1/4 -1/2 tsp. dried mustard and salt & pepper then. Sharp cheese (and lots of it!) makes all the difference. This is easy and my whole family loves it - especially w/stewed tomatoes!