Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
This salad is from a local deli / caterer in town, CHOW :D The first time I had it, I was in love with kale. Cooking time is chill time. This is great even the next day. June '13 update: I have made this recipe numerous times by using any nuts & fruit I have on hand. Try using: chopped hazelnuts, combining various fresh fruits with the dried cranberries/ cherries
- 2 bunch kale, stems and ribs removed, torn into bite-sized pieces. I prefer to cut into thin ribbons
- 118.29 ml dried cranberries, dried cherries are my favorite
- 118.29 ml fresh fruit, i.e.. apples, blueberries, pineapple, mango, etc
- 118.29 ml red onion, diced
- 118.29 ml sunflower seeds, shelled, I have used other nuts choose your favorite
- 44.37 ml fresh lemon juice
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 0.59 ml ground cinnamon
- 29.58 ml honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the four salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients and toss with the salad. * I like to massage the kale and dressing at this point. Just massage it with both hands for a few minutes. Toss in any additional fruits or berries.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour prior to serving to allow the flavors to develop. Serve and Enjoy!
- This is even better the next day and hold up well w/o wilting.
- NOTE: Use any type of nut or seed or fresh fruit. Try adding mango, watermelon or blueberries to the mix!