Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We received kale in our CSA box the other day and this salad was the result-quickly constructed yesterday to accompany a tofu main dish. I added half raisins and half barberries but you can substitute another dried fruit either alone or in any combination: raisins/golden raisins, dried figs, dried dates, currants, dried cranberries, barberries, dried cherries. Some elements of the dressing were inspired by a recipe found online although I forgot to bookmark where I found it!
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed, cleaned and cut into ribbons
- scant 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 -3 tablespoons almonds, toasted (sliced or slivered)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄16 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place the kale in a non-reactive bowl.
- Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together and pour over the kale.
- Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- Just before serving, taste the vinaigrette and adjust the seasonings if neccessary then stir in the dried fruit and almonds.
Distinct flavor in the dressing. Went great with Kung Pao Chicken.
This was off the chart amazing! I was kinda skeptical with the mixture, but hot dang, this is a winner! I used pomegranate molasses and fake maple syrup. My husband said it was a "top 2" dressing and asked me to make this for his work holiday potluck this week! What a crazy cool combo of ingredients. Thanks so much Cookgirl!
Wow! I've made other raw kale salads but this one got rave reviews from the family! I'm not sure what made the difference. Absolutely delicious & perfect texture. Just the right amount of dressing & well balanced! Made for NA/ME Tag 9/12. Thank you, CG!!