Recipe by Ackman
This may not be the healthiest, but it is SO good!!! The original recipe came from a little hand-typed Amish cookbook. The only change I made was I added some onion...I love fried potatoes w/ onions!!! HINT: Never use "new" potatoes...they do not fry well...whites fry better then reds & golds.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, washed & unpeeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled (yellow or white)
- ice water
- salt & pepper, to taste, no other seasoning needed
- 3 -4 tablespoons lard (can use CRISCO, but it changes the taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the potatoes under cold water & pat dry -- cut away any bad spots You can peel them, but I prefer not to.
- Peel the onion.
- Thinly slice the potatoes & onion.
- Add enough ice water to cover & let soak for about 15 minutes.
- Over medium-high heat, melt the lard (or CRISCO) -- cast iron works best.
- Drain the potatoes/onions & immediately add to the hot grease -- BE CAREFUL -- THE GREASE WILL SPLATTER!
- Season as desired.
- Cover & cook over med.-high heat until soft, stirring often.
- If potatoes stick, add a little more lard/CRISCO.