Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recently I purchased a bag of Irish Moss, which is a raw sea veggie that is used as a thickening agent. This pie was quite a challenge because I've never done anything like this before. I got my Irish Moss at my local cooperative. I ended up using my 7" spring form pan and halved the recipe because both my DH and I find these types of desserts very dense and far too much for two people. You will need 29 1/2 ounces of pitted cherries divided in this recipe. One part for the sauce and one part so you will have some chunks in the pie. Weigh the pitted cherries instead of measuring them in a cup, this will make an accurate measurement. If you don't choose to do the lattice top you will only need 2 1/4 cups of macadamia nuts. Note I didn't include the soaking and cleaning time for the Irish Moss. Nor did I include the setting up time for the pie. This recipe can be found in Sweet Gratitude, a raw dessert book. If you are interested here's the link: http://www.cafegratitudestore.com/sweetgratitude.html
FOR THE CRUST
- 3 cups macadamia nuts
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
FOR THE CHERRY FILLING
- 2 1⁄4 ounces Irish moss (weight)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice (plus 2 tbsp. more)
- 1⁄2 cup agave syrup (plus 2 tbsp. more)
- 4 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 11 1⁄2 ounces cherries (pitted)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 18 ounces pitted cherries (chopped)
- FOR THE CRUST:.
- Carefully pulse the macadamia nuts and sea salt together in a food processor.
- Scrape the sides down. When the nuts are no longer crunchy remove and take out 3/4 of a cup for the lattice work for the top of the pie.
- Spread the remaining nuts onto the bottom of a pie pan covering up the sides. You might have to put water on your hands to keep the crust from sticking.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING:.
- Put the Irish moss, salt, lemon juice, agave and vanilla and the 11 1/2 oz of cherries into a blender and blend until you have a smooth creamy puree. No chunks of cherry or Irish moss should remain.
- Remove the mixture and put into a bowl and the add the 18 oz. of chopped cherries to the mixture and all the cherries are evenly distributed through the puree mixture.
- Pour onto your macadamia nut crust and smooth evenly.
- Set the pie in the fridge or freezer until set up.
- FOR THE LATTICE:.
- Take the 3/4 cup macadamia nuts and roll them on a non-stick surface. Shape into a triangle about 1/8" thick.
- Carefully cut out your strips 1/2" wide and lift them with a knife onto the top of the pie creating a lattice effect.
- Cover and Put into the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Bon Appetit!