Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fresh blueberries on top of an almond-date crust. I haven't tried this recipe yet, from Self Magazine, but how can it not be a great summer treat - there's no baking! Although, the portions look awfully skimpy! I might consider this a cookie, not a full dessert.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus extra julienned for garnish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- canola-oil cooking spray
- 2⁄3 cup raw almonds
- 1⁄2 cup pitted dates
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate. Coat a mixing bowl with cooking spray. Pulse almonds in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs. Empty into prepared bowl. Pulse dates with 1 tsp water in food processor until well chopped (they will be a little clumpy). Mix with almonds to form a paste.
- Divide mixture evenly into 4 golf ball-sized rounds. Place each ball between 2 pieces of wax paper and press to form a 4-inch crust. Turn up edges if desired. Refrigerate 2 hours. Use a spatula to move crusts to serving plates; fill each with 1/2 cup berries and drizzle each with some leftover juices from bowl. Top with julienned orange zest.