Recipe by COOKGIRl
From a local source using mostly locally grown ingredients. Apples suggested for this salad include: Goldrush, Jonafree or Calville Blanc. If desired, substitute another seasonal berry of your choice: raspberries, strawberries, boysenberries, etc.
Top Review by karen
Wonderful snack. I ended up making a couple of subs based on what was in the house and what I like. I left out the celery because I hate it. I used a mix of walnuts and pine nuts for the nuts...and dried figs instead of the currants/berries. I also included some lemon zest in the dressing. I put it in the fridge to get it cold and have the flavors meld, and it was just as good the next day as it was when I first made it.
- 2 medium tart apples, diced (if it doesn't bother you, keep the peel on the skin)
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced (plus a few leaves!)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh currants or 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 -3 tablespoons raw walnuts (almonds will work, too)
- fresh lemon juice (few tablespoons-I also stirred in about one teaspoon lemon zest to the salad)
- sugar, to taste (or any sugar substitute of your choice)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract