Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From a local source using mostly locally grown ingredients. Apples suggested for this salad include: Goldrush, Jonafree or Calville Blanc. If desired, substitute another seasonal berry of your choice: raspberries, strawberries, boysenberries, etc.
- 2 medium tart apples, diced (if it doesn't bother you, keep the peel on the skin)
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced (plus a few leaves!)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh currants or 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 -3 tablespoons raw walnuts (almonds will work, too)
- fresh lemon juice (few tablespoons-I also stirred in about one teaspoon lemon zest to the salad)
- sugar, to taste (or any sugar substitute of your choice)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Toss apples, celery and berries with the dressing.
- Top with the walnuts.
- Can be served immediately or covered and chilled.
This was very good! I used frozen blue berries that I froze myself from my garden. I also used granny smith apples which I have to say were very tart! So the addition of the sugar was really needed. I also used pecan pieces for crunch. Lovely evening snack! Made for NA*ME tag.