Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From rawglow.com, a delicious sounding raw apple pie with an almond-based crust.
- 7 fuji apples
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup dates
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw almonds
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil (optional)
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scooped out (optional)
- Process almonds in a food processor with the s blade into a coarse almond flour. Add the dates, coconut oil, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon to the food processor and process with the s blade until the mixture forms dough. Press the dough into a pie pan. *For a crispier crust you can soak the nuts and then dehydrate them before using.
- Roughly chop 5 apples and pulse them in the food processor until they are in tiny pieces.
- Pour the lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon over them and dehydrate them on low for a few hours.
- In a blender blend 2 finely chopped apples (add to the blender first), 1 cup dates, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest to make an apple sauce. Mix the applesauce and the dehydrated apples in a bowl. Pour the mixture into a piecrust. Refrigerate for at least two hours.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm outstanding. I made this for my MIL who is on a no sugar,no salt, vegan diet and she loved it. Heck, even I loved it. I really loved the crust. Thanks so much.