Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this using fresh pears. It was a big hit. It stayed moist. It seems like a lot of oil but it works.
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped or 3 cups pears
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk (a little at time)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Bake 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 50 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix glaze ingredients to a runny consistency and pour over warm cake.
I loved the fact that this recipe has no dairy or soy, so from there I proceeded to tinker with it until I have one of my favorite recipes! I have lots of canned pears and need to use them.
To the cake:
--used 4 c. of home canned pears and accompanying syrup instead of fresh fruit
--decreased white sugar to 1/2 c.
--added 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
--added 1/4 tsp. cardamom
To the glaze:
--add 1/4 tsp. burnt sugar flavoring
--add 1/4 tsp. maple flavoring
--didn't use any butter or substitute
When I make this into "muffins", I askew the glaze and use a "crunch topping" of 1/2 c. pecans/walnuts, 1/8 c. white sugar, 1 Tbsp. brown sugar ground up in food processor. Of course, you can still add a little glaze and the maple aroma is esp. delightful!