1/2 Photos of Raw Apple Cake
1 hr 15 mins
Wonderful, moist, chewy cake. Got this recipe from a column in the local paper, and the columnist got it from an "unfamous old cookbook in a musty used book store...which had passages like 'use a lump of butter the size of an egg' and 'a wineglass full of decorating sugar' and 'store in the cold pantry.'" Letting the apples sit in the sugar for a while is a key step here, although it is not listed as being crucial. This cake is also good for breakfast. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted walnuts (see note)
- 1Note: For enough nuts for the cake and to sprinkle on the cream cheese frosting, measure a generous 2 cups of nuts into a large baking pan.
- 2Toast at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, checking every couple of minutes after 5 and shaking the nuts around.
- 3When walnuts are cool, chop a scant 1/2 cup finely for the frosting and coarsely chop the remaining nuts for the cake.
- 4If oven is not preheated from toasting nuts, preheat oven to 350.
- 5Grease and flour a 9 by 13 inch cake pan.
- 6Combine apples and sugar in one bowl.
- 7Let sit for 20 minutes so apples get juicy.
- 8This is not a crucial step, but it does add to the cake's wonderful chewy texture.
- 9Combine eggs and oil and mix well.
- 10Combine rest of ingredients by hand, then add the egg and oil mixture and mix well.
- 11Add the apple mixture.
- 12The mixture will be very thick.
- 13Pour and press into the prepared pan.
- 14Bake for 45 minutes.
- 15Remove from oven when only moist crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted in center.
- 16This is a moist cake--don't overbake.
- 17Allow to cool on rack.
- 18When cake is cool, frost with cream cheese frosting, and sprinkle with the finely chopped nuts.
- 19To prepare frosting: Allow cream cheese and butter to soften a room temperature.
- 20Beat with a mixer until well blended.
- 21Slowly beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
- 22Add vanilla and mix well.
- 23Adjust to spreadable consistency with milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- 24The cake stands well on its own; however a sifting of powdered sugar looks nice if you don't care for naked cake.
- 25Unfrosted cake is good with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 26If not frosted with cream cheese frosting, which requires refrigeration, cake keeps well at room temperature for a weekend.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raw Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.9
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 237.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 29.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g