Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an family recipe from my husband's family, from his great-grandmother. They were from the South and there is a note on the recipe card "Civil War Recipe". It's a little different from the others posted, and very good.
- 2 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shortening (scant)
- 1 cup cold brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (mixed in the coffee)
- 3 cups chopped raw apples
- 1⁄2 cup nuts
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cream the brown sugar, eggs and shortening.
- Add the cold coffee and mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add to to the creamed mixture. Mix well.
- Add the apples and nuts, combining well.
- Pour into a large baking pan, 11x15 works for me. You could also use a jelly roll pan and bake it for less time.
- Bake in a slow oven, 325 degrees for at least 1 hour.
Very nice indeed. This is what my mother would have called a Snacking Cake. I skipped the raisins to lower the sugars and doubled the nuts (I used pecans). My sugar was 1/3 a cup of Splenda Brown Sugar and wouldn't want it any sweeter. I also used 1/2 the amount of shortening and made up the difference with unsweetened applesauce. For the spice, Penzey's Apple Pie Spice was ideal. It's moist and very well flavored, in fact I think it will be even better tomorrow. I made a 6 serving amount and baked it in an 8" cake pan. The coffee adds to the flavor and character but lays mildly in the background. Thank you Yia Yia for sharing a lovely family recipe. *NOTE*: I was right this is even better the next day and you MUST try a slice slathered with peanut butter!!!!!
Made for PAC, Spring 2007 ~ Well, I might have taken a lot away from what this cake was meant to be like, 'cause I substituted a cup of apple juice for the brewed coffee!! Still, from my point of view, the cake turned out well, & tasted just fine! If nothing else, I'd be interested in making this again for it's historical aspect!
Made this according to instructions and it was really really good!!